• Centering Prayer meets from 10 am to noon at Bethany Center in Antigonish. For information or to register, call 863-4726 or email
• The Chedabucto Place Association is pleased to announce that ECMA award winning fiddler, Samantha Robichaud will be in concert at 7 pm, with special guests, The Guysborough Youth Fiddlers. The concert will be held at The Chedabucto Place Performance Centre at 27 Green Street in Guysborough, NS. Admission is $15 for adults and $7 for children 12 years and under. Tickets can be purchased at the box office in the Chedabucto Place Performance Centre. (533-2015). Ten percent of all the money raised will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Prize bingo at 7:30 pm. 5 cents per card, 10 cents a special.
• It’s that time of the year again and the East River St. Mary’s Fire Hall is holding its annual spring breakfast at the fire hall from 6 to 9 am. Sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, baked beans, toast, jam, tea and coffee will be served. Cost is $7 for adults, $4 for children under 10 and free for children under 5.
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Straw booth, fish pond, sucker pull, chocolate wheel and variety wheel. Starts at 2 pm.
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Hot roast beef supper (rolls / biscuits, dessert / hot and cold beverages), from 3:30 to 5:30 pm. Cost is $10 for a large plate, $8 for a small plate.
• Country breakfast at the Country Harbour Gun Club, 8:30 to 10 am. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children.
• Variety concert at Charlos Cove Parish Hall. In aid of St. Joseph’s Parish. Start time is 7 pm. Light lunch to be served. Come and enjoy!
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Dance from 9:30 pm to 1 am. Live band (Running on Empty).
• Eastern Guysborough Pastoral Charge (United Church) services are Canso 9 am, Guysborough 11 am, and Whitehead 1 pm. We will be sharing together in Communion and everyone is welcome!
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Breakfast (pancakes, toast, scrambled eggs and sausages) from 9 to 11 am. Cost is $5.
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Giant card play for lobsters, 2 pm! Admission is $8.
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Banana split ($4 each) and Sundae ($3 each) sale, from 3 to 5 pm.
• Port Felix Parish Picnic Events: Family variety concert, 7 pm. Admission is $5.
• The Port Bickerton Lighthouse will be holding its annual spring and beach clean-up starting at 9 am. Bring your gloves and join in. Many hands make less work. Light lunch to be served.
• Cards at the Country Harbour Gun Club. Start time is 8 pm.
• Gathering the Wisdom meets, 7 to 9 pm, at Bethany Center in Antigonish to explore how laity can participate fully in church. For information or to register, call 863-4726 or email
• In memory of deceased Lions, the Canso Lions Club will be unveiling and dedicating a memorial plaque with the names of deceased Lions who were members of the Lions Club during the last 45 years. The public is invited to attend the dedication service at 6:30 pm. Refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
• A family round and square dance will be held at St. Mary’s Parish Hall in Maryvale, Antigonish County from 9 pm to midnight. Music provided by Rodney MacDonald and Guest. Admission is $10 per person with children 12 and under admitted for free. Tea and sweets provided!
• 6th annual Erinville fishing derby from 9 am to 3 pm, at Cooke’s Pond, 10 The Lane Road, Erinville, Guysborough County. No fishing license needed. Entry fee is $12 for adults, and $6 for children under 12. Prizes awarded – cash and merchandise. Pop and hot dogs will be sold. For more info, call 533-2169.
• Washer toss at the Country Harbour Gun Club. Registration at 10:30 am; play begins at 11 am (inside or outside depending on the weather). Entrance fee is $10 per person.
• The Port Bickerton and Area Planning Association will be hosting a pot luck supper at the Port Bickerton Community Centre from 4 to 6 pm. Cost is $10 for adults with preschoolers are free.
• The annual Spring Ladies Program, entitled You’ve Got Purse-onality, will be presented at 7 pm, at the Goshen Community Centre, by the Ladies Fellowship of Goshen Gospel church. All are welcome – and be sure to bring your purse! Refreshments following.
• Eastern Guysborough Pastoral Charge (United Church) are Boylston 11 am and New Harbour 1 pm. Everyone is welcome!
• A Tribute to Nova Scotia Music concert will be held at the Chedabucto Place Performance Centre, starting at 2 pm. This concert is under the direction of Ursula Ryan and will feature a wide variety of talent performing music of Nova Scotia. This concert is being held as a fundraiser for GOALS. General seating and admission is $10 for adults, $5for children and a family rate of $20. Come out and enjoy some great music and support a very worthwhile cause.
• Open house – come join the Guysborough and Area Garden Club for a free workshop entitled “Herbs in Action” with Marjorie Beck, 7 pm at Chedabucto Place in the Home Ec Room. Refreshments to follow. The workshop is open to the public and all are invited to attend, free of charge. Hope we see you there!
• Cards at the Country Harbour Gun Club. Start time is 8 pm.
• Volunteer food handler’s course: The Chedabucto Curling Club Community Activity Society (CAS) and the Royal Canadian Legion, Guysborough, are working together to present a volunteer food hygiene training course on from 6 to 9 pm. This free course – being presented by Nova Scotia Agriculture Food Safety and Enforcement and being conducted at the Royal Canadian Legion, Guysborough – is open to all. The deadline to register is Friday, May 24. The participants’ names, organizations and phone numbers are to be submitted to either Ray Bates (533-2528) or Edith Walker (533-2098) by May 24. Be prepared to leave a phone message.
FRI. to SAT.
JUNE 7 - 9
• Three day genealogy workshop at the Port Felix Community Hall. Registration is $5. Times are: Friday 5 to 7 pm; Saturday 10 am to 4 pm; Sunday 10 am to 3 pm. Registration or information, call Irene Schofield at Felix Genealogy and Properties Research, 902 469-9002, or email
or call Cynthia Creamer at 902 358-2480.
• 26th annual fishing derby at MacPherson Lake in Guysborough County. Sponsored by the Guysborough District Fish and Game Association. Registration time (Junior / Adult) 7:30 am to 2 pm. Cash prizes of $1000, $500, and $300. Also door prize draws. Canteen service on site. Rain date is Sunday, June 16.
• Flea market, bake and craft sale from 10 am to 1 pm at the Wesley United Church Hall in Guysborough. Everyone is welcome!
• The Port Bickerton Community Centre will be hosting a movie matinee and craft day from 1 to 4 pm. Cost is $3 per child (ages: 4 to 12). Bring a pillow and blanket and enjoy the show! Snacks will be provided.
• The EMH Foundation will be holding its first annual Memory Walk walk-a-thon, starting at 10 am at the Black Duck Cove boardwalk. Collect sponsors and walk in memory of a loved one, a friend, or friend of a friend. When collecting sponsors, they can also donate for you to walk in memory of a person they choose. Proceeds benefit the EMH Foundation and an acknowledgement of those walked in memory of will be displayed at hospital entrance. Pledge sheets can be picked up at the hospital or by contacting Julieann Myatt at 902-366-2794 or 902-366-2361. Rain date is Sunday, June 16.
• The last Sunday of each month a hot breakfast is served in the Auld’s Cove fire hall, 8 am till noon; adults $6, children 12 and under, $3.
• Baptist worship schedule: New Harbour 11 am; Seal Harbour, first and third Sunday of month at 3 pm; Goldboro, second and fourth Sunday of the month at 3 pm.
• Services for Guysborough Baptist Church are at 11 am.
• Services for Canso United Baptist Church are at 11 am.
• Services for St. James the Martyr Church, Halfway Cove, are every Sunday at 11 am.
• Dog Social. We will meet on the Guysborough ball field and will go for a walk on the shore road from 1 to 3 pm.
• Coffee house at the Canso Lions Club, the first Sunday of each month, 2 to 5 pm. Local entertainment, light lunch served. Admission is $5.
• JAM Club – Jesus And Me, St. Mary’s Pastoral Charge, The United Church of Canada. Our charge’s program for children and all ages: Sunday School, 2 pm, every second Sunday at Kirk Memorial United Church in Glenelg. This year’s theme: the Olympics! At each JAM Club, we will focus on a different sport, and using scripture, music, crafts and games, we will use that sport to illustrate God’s great love for each and every one of us! And we always have a snack too! Join a winning team – play for Jesus!
• Bingo at Maple Hall in Heatherton, 2:30 pm.
• Services for the Abundant Life Centre are held at 3 pm at the Wesley United Church on the corner of Queen and Church Street in Guysborough.
• Services for All Saints Anglican Church are every Sunday at 4 pm.
• Evening services for the Canso Christian Centre are at 6:30 pm.
• Church services for Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Country Harbour Mines: first, third and fifth Sundays at 7 pm; second and fourth Sundays at 11 am.
• Bring a partner and join us for cribbage games to be held at 7 pm at Goshen Community Centre. Admission is $5 per person. First, second and third prizes will be awarded and tickets will be sold on a 50/50 draw – three tickets for $2. Profit will be for the community centre.
• Services for the Church of the Good Shepherd, Tor Bay, are every Sunday evening at 7 pm.
• 45’s card play at the Port Felix Parish Hall, 7:30 pm.
• St. Francis Harbour Hall at 7 pm, TOPS weight control programs weekly meeting. New members welcome. $30 registration. Call Catherine at 533-2478.
• Sheet Harbour Crib Card Parties at Legion #58; 7:30 pm $6. For info call Tom at 654-2211.
• Country Harbour Gun Club. Cards every Monday night at 8 pm.
• Auction 45s Card Plays at the new Country Harbour Community Centre at 8 pm. Prizes and 50/50 draw to be won. Hope to see you there!
• Auction 45s Card Plays are held at the Melrose Seniors’ Club at 1:30 pm. Prizes and 50/50 draw. Sponsored by the Melrose Seniors’ Club.
• 45s Card Play every Tuesday evening at the Port Felix Parish Hall. 7:30 pm. Prizes. Plus 50/50 draw and building jackpot.
• The Ecum Secum Fire Department card parties are held at the fire hall at 8 pm.
• Healthy Moms / Healthy Babies from 9:30 to 11:30 am: a drop-in program held at Kids First Resource Centre in Antigonish.
• Guysborough Parent / Tot Drop-in at Kids First Centre 10 am to noon.
• Need a mid-week break? Come to the Goshen Community Centre at 1 pm for a time of table games, Wii and visiting with neighbours over a cup of coffee.
• Alzheimer Café is the first Wednesday of every month at 5:30 pm, at The People’s Place, Antigonish Library. The Café offers a comfortable setting for those living with Alzheimer’s disease and / or other dementia, and all those interested in socializing, and learning more about dementia. Evenings often include entertainment, along with education, food and beverage, socialization.
• 45s Card Play - Hazel Hill Fire Hall at 7:30 pm. $5 to play. Good prizes!
• Regular card plays at the Interpretative Centre in Goldboro, 7:30 pm.
• The Sheet Harbour & Area Chamber of Commerce meets the first Wednesday of every month at 7:30 pm in the Sheet Harbour Lions Centre, Sheet Harbour. New members welcome. Contact membership chair, Sharon McDonald at 885-2479.
• Sherbrooke Lions Club bingo starting at 7:45 pm at the Lions Club.
• Creative Chaos (Art in the Afternoon), from 2 to 4 pm at Bethany Center, Antigonish. Presenter: Teri Brean-Arsenault. Pre-registration required. For further information and / or registration, e-mail
or phone 863-4726.
• Prize bingo at the Canso fire hall ( May 2, June 13). Start time is 7 pm.
• 45s Card Play every Thursday at the Canso Lions Club 7:30 pm. Cash prizes. Sponsored by Canso Lions Club.
• Friday night 45’s. Every Friday night at 7 pm, Trinity United Church Hall, 439 MacLeod Street, Mulgrave. Grocery prizes, 25 cents per game, no partner required, 50/50 draw and lunch served. A great evening of old-fashioned fun.
• 45s Card plays at the Whitehead Community Centre at 7:30 pm. Grocery prizes, building “loonie jar”.
• Breakfasts are held at the Interpretative Centre in Goldboro, the first Saturday of every month, from 8:30 to 10:30 am. Cost is $7.
• Church services for St. Patrick’s Church, Guys. Intervale are at 7 pm and in St. Thomas Church, Salmon River at 5 pm.
• Progressive 45s card plays at 7:30 pm at the St. James Hall, Halfway Cove. Full meal, grocery prizes and loonie jar. Free hot coffee and tea available. Sponsored by St. James Anglican Church, Halfway Cove. Come and bring a friend.
• Variety concerts at the Whitehead Community Centre Hall, at 7:30 pm, the first Saturday of each month. Local entertainment, light lunch served, 50 / 50 draw, admission is $5. Everyone welcome; bring a friend and your instrument.
• Auction 45s card plays are held at the Melrose Seniors’ Club at 8 pm. Prizes and 50/50 draw. Sponsored by the Melrose Seniors’ Club.